Last week, the church members received a letter from Cardinal Sean O'Malley asking them to comply with a decision made by the Vatican in June that denied the parishioners' request to block the building's sale, rental or repurposing.
Members of The Friends of St. Frances X. Cabrini have been holding vigil there for a decade, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, after the Vatican officially ordered the church closed in October, 2004. The church was one of dozens in the Archdiocese of Boston ordered closed in a process of reconfiguration.
After holding Mass on Sunday, members of the nonprofit organization devoted to appealing the church's decision and holding vigil made a statement in response to O'Malley's request for them to vacate the church, and they were hopeful that despite the Vatican's rejection of their appeal, that they would be able to keep the church open.
The group has sent several letters to Cardinal O'Malley, begging him to meet with them to find a solution, but that has not happened.
In June, when the Vatican's decision came out, a spokesman for the church said he was shocked by the decision, since similar appeals across the country have been successful. The group said it has even offered to buy the church, but that offer has been rejected.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.