• 3-year-old with dairy allergy dies after served grilled cheese at school, officials say

    By: Chelsea Todaro, Palm Beach Post

    Updated:

    A 3-year-old boy with a dairy allergy in New York City died this week after someone at his preschool served him a grilled cheese sandwich. 

    >> Read more trending news

    According to officials, the parents of Elijah Silvera told educators at the school that he was allergic to dairy, WCBS reports. The preschool is currently closed while the health department investigates the situation. 

    Silvera’s family members created a GoFundMe page to help covers the costs of his death.

    On the page, they describe how Silvera “went into anaphylactic shock” from eating the sandwich, and doctors were not able to save him when he arrived to the children’s hospital.

    “He was just a light — if you see him, he’s just a bright light,” a family member said to WCBS. “He’s one of those kids that… he was one of those kids that when you walk in the room and saw him, you just light up,.” 

    Health officials said to WCBS that the school did not follow a proper safety plan and “failed to supervise a child adequately.” 

    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    3-year-old with dairy allergy dies after served grilled cheese at…

  • Headline Goes Here

    Parents remember son killed in car accident on the way to take his final exam

  • Headline Goes Here

    SeaWorld, Busch Gardens: Free admission available for veterans now…

  • Headline Goes Here

    Rottweiler dies in hot car at county jail, woman visitor arrested on the spot

  • Headline Goes Here

    Disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein to face rape, other charges in New York