• Mass. woman is 1st known transgender person to be killed in 2018

    By: Steven Yablonski


    NORTH ADAMS, Mass. - A transgender rights advocate who started a pageant for transgender women in New England was found stabbed and beaten to death inside her western Massachusetts home.

    Police in North Adams said Christa Leigh Steele-Knudslien, 42, was found dead inside her Veazie Street home Friday night.

    Her husband, Mark S. Steele-Knudslien, 47, has been arrested and charged with murder.

    He pleaded not guilty in court Monday and is being held in jail without bail.

    Masslive.com reports Mark S. Steele-Knudslien told police that he hit his wife several times with a hammer, and “then finally killed her by stabbing her in the back with a large knife.”

    He then wrapped her body in a tarp and moved her to the basement before going to the police department, according to the report.

    The killing allegedly occurred after Mark S. Steele-Knudslien “snapped” following an argument with his wife.

    Friends say Christa Steele-Knudslien was well known in the Massachusetts transgender community for her activism and events, including the Miss Trans New England Pageant. 

    LGBT organization Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) said Christa Steele Knudslien is the first known killing of a transgender person in the country so far in 2018.

    The Human Rights Campaign released a statement Monday and said it mourned the loss and said her violent death came as the orginazation released a report documenting acts of violence in 2017 making it the deadliest year on record for transgender people.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Mass. woman is 1st known transgender person to be killed in 2018

  • Headline Goes Here

    Trump, GOP to huddle as outrage builds over border policy

  • Headline Goes Here

    Border separations ripple through midterm campaigns

  • Headline Goes Here

    High court decision extends legal battle over gerrymandering

  • Headline Goes Here

    120 Nassar victims urge Michigan State board to fire Engler