• Lawrence firefighters save choking man at holiday party

    Updated:

    LAWRENCE, Mass. -- A Methuen man is lucky to be alive after nearly choking to death late last week.

    Bryan Boutin was at a holiday dinner with his father Leo at the Lawrence British Club last Thursday, but around 7:30 p.m. he began choking on a piece of prime rib.

    Bryan was eventually saved by a group of resourceful firefighters who were also attending.

    “I'm going to tell you right now I think they are the greatest fire fighters because without them I would have been dead, honest to god,” he said.

    Several firefighters tried the Heimlich maneuver on Bryan, then chest thrusts, but none of that worked and Bryan began turning blue and losing consciousness.

    Then one firefighter saw the piece of meat in Bryan’s throat.

    “He opens his mouth and put his finger there and pull a piece of prime rib out,” Leo Boutin said.

    Bryan now has six broken ribs and is in pain when he breathes, but he’s thankful to make it out of the 10-minute ordeal alive.

    Leo Boutin recommended to fire chief that the firemen who helped be considered for firemen of the year, and he said he plans to get them some gifts as well.

    TOP STORIES: 

    7-year-old becomes honorary fire chief in Chatham

    Assistant principal in Rehoboth on leave after prostitution-related arrest

    15-year-old threatened with gun during Randolph home invasion

    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    Lawrence firefighters save choking man at holiday party

  • Headline Goes Here

    Wynn Resorts adds three women to board of directors

  • Headline Goes Here

    Men arrested at Starbucks say they feared for their lives

  • Headline Goes Here

    Calif. governor says deal reached on National Guard mission

  • Headline Goes Here

    Aviation Weather Warning