• Fire destroys landmark restaurant in Scituate

    By: Jacqui Heinrich


    SCITUATE, Mass. - Flames ripped through Jamie's Pub in Scituate early on Sunday morning, leaving the landmark restaurant on Gannett Road beyond repair. 

    The incident at Jamie's Pub happened only hours after the tenth anniversary of its namesake's death, James Constantine. 

    The historic restaurant was the first of what could've been a successful local chain that would've attracted regulars for years on end. 

    "This is gonna be missed big time, and everybody in there knows each other, I mean, if you're in there, you're all from in town," said Vanessa McCarthy, a customer. 

    The popular spot for weekly specials, live music, and karaoke for the last 40 years now stands with a caved in roof and irreparable damage. Scituate fire officials say the blaze broke out near the kitchen at around 4 a.m. and raged on for over an hour before it was out. 

    "I mean, people came here, just came here for years and on and on and on," said Lenny Monteiro.

    All day on Sunday regulars showed up to take in their last glimpses before the building was leveled. Many showed up for their Sunday breakfasts like clockwork, only to find the building in ashes. 

    The owners declined to comment, still in shock, but neighbors and patrons say they'll show their support in any way they can.

    "They've done pretty good as a restaurant, I believe they will build another restaurant, and the community will come together, this is a great community," said Christopher Edwards, who works nearby. 

    Fire officials say nobody was hurt but the fire is still under investigation. 

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Fire destroys landmark restaurant in Scituate

  • Headline Goes Here

    Air Quality Alert

  • Headline Goes Here

    Tough course or easy, Brooks Koepka repeats as US Open champ

  • Headline Goes Here

    The Latest: Event on verge of being shut down before gunfire

  • Headline Goes Here

    Strong earthquake near Osaka, Japan, causes scattered damage