• DA: 3-year-old killed, 3 treated for injuries after 'tragic morning' in Lowell


    LOWELL, Mass. - A 3-year-old boy died after he was pulled from a burning building in Lowell Friday morning, according to the Middlesex County District Attorney. 

    "'My son is in there, my son is in there,' that's all I kept hearing," said Sophieanie Em, a neighbor. 

    The boy's father, brother, and a firefighter were all taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and have all been released.

    "This is a tragic morning," Middlesex DA Marian Ryan said at a news conference Friday morning. 

    According to Fire Chief Jeffery Winward, the first companies on scene went into the house to search the rooms and found the 3-year-old in the "back bedroom."

    "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims," he said. 

    A co-worker who covered the father's shift identified the boy as Hunter Knox and his father as Ryan.

    “I just heard he was in the hospital and Hunter didn’t make it out unfortunately, from there I was just beside myself," Zach Mithen said. “He was a great little guy, very rambunctious, full of love.”

    The first fire crews on scene had some difficulty battling the flames as fire hydrants in the area were frozen. 

    Chief Winward said the first company ran out of water and had to leave the building. 

    Devastated family and friends embraced at the scene Friday, carrying out a few items that weren't lost in the fire. Neighbors describe a happy family of four - now forever changed.

    Police, firefighters, the state fire marshal, the division of inspectional services and the department of public works were all on scene Friday  through the day.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    DA: 3-year-old killed, 3 treated for injuries after 'tragic morning' in Lowell

  • Headline Goes Here

    Afghan officials say toll from Kabul bombing climbs to 48 killed, 112 wounded

  • Headline Goes Here

    'Keep Attleboro Beautiful' hosts second annual Great Attleboro Clean-up

  • Headline Goes Here

    Armenia protest leader arrested after failed talks with PM

  • Headline Goes Here

    Nashville police say they are searching for suspect in Waffle House…