Boston Public Schools are holding 10 meetings to speak with parents about new school start times.
In a letter to parents, Superintendent Tommy Chang said he is moving forward with the plan to change start times next year, but he’s willing to speak with parents and school leaders to address concerns about the new schedules.
Some parents said they are upset with the changes.
The School Committee approved more high schools starting after 8 a.m., and elementary schools dismissing before 4 p.m.
The change affects 84 percent of Boston schools by shifting schedules more than two hours for many families.
Boston Mayor Marty Walsh said the city is listening to concerns from parents.
“I think everything is on the table at this point,” Walsh said. “I think that the implementation is on the table. The potential delays are on the table. Everything is on the table and I think that this wasn’t about disrupting parent’s lives. This was about getting more equity and more funding into the school district. That’s what this is all about.”
Boston 25 News reporter Drew Karedes spoke to parents at a meeting in West Roxbury Monday night. The meeting was so well-attended that capacity was reached and some people were denied entry.
It's a packed house at first of 10 community meetings addressing controversy over Boston Public School new start times. Roche Family Center in West Roxbury has reached capacity of 150 w/ people now standing outside #Boston25 pic.twitter.com/hwLpQjDZmJ— Drew Karedes (@DrewKaredes) December 18, 2017
Many parents said they felt their input hadn't been requested, and school officials gave them the run around. Watch the full report at the top of this story.
HERE'S THE FULL LIST:
Monday, Dec. 18:
- Roche Family Community Center - 1716 Centre St., West Roxbury, 6 to 8 p.m.
- East Boston High School Cafeteria - 86 White St., East Boston, 6 to 8 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 19:
- Warren Prescott K-8 School - 50 West School St., Charlestown, 6 to 8 p.m.
- Mattapan Early Elementary School - 100 Hebron St., Mattapan, 6 to 8 p.m.
- James F. Condon K-8 School - 200 D St., South Boston, 6 to 8 p.m.
Wednesday, Dec. 20:
- McKeon Post - 4 Hill Top St., Dorchester, 6 to 8 p.m.
- ABCD - 565 Warren St., Roxbury, 6 to 8 p.m.
- Blackstone Community Center - BCYF - 50 West Brookline St., Boston, 6 to 8 p.m.
- Curley K-8 School - 493 Centre St., Jamaica Plain, 6 to 8 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 21:
- Brighton High School - 25 Warren St., Brighton, 6 to 8 p.m.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.