Gov. Deval Patrick joined FOX 25 on Monday morning to share an update on emergency efforts as Sandy makes its way to the east coast.
The governor spoke from the MEMA bunker in Framingham. He says officials at MEMA expect winds to be at their strongest between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. on Monday. He added that this will be mostly a wind event, but a destructive wind event that comes with high seas and storm surges.
Gov. Patrick says that Plum Island and New Bedford already began limited evacuations on Monday morning.
When asked about whether or not Mass. residents can expect anything different in terms of power restoration than last year, the governor said "we better."
"I think all of us are looking to that," said Gov. Patrick. "We've got pretty robust plans from each of the utilities that they submitted last week and we went back and forth to try to beef them up in a couple of cases."
The governor also commented on overnight power restoration efforts. He says that service has been restored to hundreds of homes in Lynn and Pembroke that lost power late Sunday night. He added that an estimated 1,800 homes that lost power in Cohasset were expected to regain power by 8:15 a.m. Monday.
On Saturday, the governor declared a state of emergency for the Commonwealth. He also called on President Obama to declare a pre-landfall emergency, which the president did.
© 2016 Cox Media Group.