PEPPERELL, Mass. - A Pepperell grandmother is being called a hero after running into her burning home to save her grandchildren.
Carole Eaton said she and her daughter had just lit the grill for dinner Thursday evening when it exploded.
“It happened so fast, it exploded and my daughter was pushed backwards and I was pushed into the house which was a good thing because I had to get the kids out,” she said.
Carole ran into the burning home and brought her 8-year-old grandson out easily, but his 3-year-old brother was paralyzed by fear.
“The little one didn’t want to leave I had to force him to get out and I couldn’t get a dog and him and when I got him out they wouldn’t let me go back in,” she said.
The family dog, Molly, didn’t make it out.
“That’s the hardest part, I mean any of this can be replaced,” James Farrar, Carole's son, said.
Lee Farrar, Carole's son, grew up in the home and it had recently been renovated.
“My heart dropped because this was my house growing up, I was raised in this house,” he said.
The community has rallied around the family, and donations are being collected at Groton Hair Inc.
“I can’t even believe how sweet people have been to us,” Carole said.
Carole was taken to the hospital, but has been released and is recovering from a singed esophagus.
If you'd like to help, donations can be dropped off at Groton Hair. Inc., 30 Hollis St., Groton, or cash donations can be made to the Farrar-Shank Fire Fund at Lowell Five Bank.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.