Va. teacher says she was unaware tea was poisoned

Updated:

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) — A Newport News middle school teacher says she had no idea two of her students were poisoning her tea by putting hand sanitizer in it.

The boys were charged with attempted poisoning earlier this month.

Hines Middle School teacher Jane Miller tells WVEC-TV her stomach was bothering her, she was exhausted when she got home and that she had a low-grade temperature. She says two girls in her class told on the boys who were later charged in the case.

She says she doesn't know why the boys put the Germ X into her tea, but noted she teaches math review and that a lot of her students don't really want to be there.

The boys were placed on a long-term suspension before being reassigned to an alternative school.