UXBRIDGE, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- McCloskey Middle School in Uxbridge was closed Tuesday after a dangerous building material was found.
In a letter to parents, school officials say flooring that was removed from three classrooms over the summer tested positive for asbestos.
Officials met with an analyst from the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection to determine a course of action after the discovery. They decided to conduct a thorough testing and cleaning of all classrooms and hallways, which required the school to be closed.
An update on test results was expected by 4 p.m. Tuesday.
Exposure to asbestos fibers via inhalation can cause serious diseases, including lung cancer.
© 2016 Cox Media Group.