• UNH basketball staffer fired after allegedly filming athletes in locker room


    DURHAM, N.H. (MyFoxBoston.com) – The UNH basketball director of operations is out of a job and subject of a criminal investigation after allegedly filming male athletes in a locker room.

    Scott Weitzell was reportedly a former high school and middle school boys basketball coach who had been with the UNH basketball program since 2002. That's why students were so shocked to hear that a coach could have potentially violated students' trust.

    "Whenever you're in that kind of role, people typically like trust that you're someone who has had a background check, who is trusted by the community and by the school. So I think that hearing that it's somebody like that is a little bit scary," Gabby Chesney said.

    It all started after a basketball game against the University of Vermont on Jan. 20. Campus police say the athletic director and senior officials of the team contacted the UNH Police Department after they learned that sometime before or after the game Weitzell, a part-time member of the UNH program, was allegedly photographing and/or videotaping UNH male athletes inside the locker room.

    UNH Police then obtained a search warrant to seize the cell phone Weitzell allegedly used and when police showed up at his Newmarket, N.H. home, they say he resisted arrest and tried to tamper with the evidence. He was eventually placed under arrest and booked.

    UNH police released the following statement Wednesday:

    "Additional search warrants have been attained for both (Weitzell's) residence as well as another employer, and more materials seized which are being reviewed by investigators. At this time, it does not appear any of the materials seized include images of any person under the age of 18, and investigators are exercising all appropriate cautions to make certain any potential victims are identified and provided with counseling."

    The school also released a statement, expressing concern that it took a full month for the allegations to come to light. The university is providing the affected students with counseling and their parents have been contacted.

    Weitzell is reportedly due back in court in April.

    Next Up: