• Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose, family says

    By: Jared Leone, Cox Media Group National Content Desk

    Updated:

    Tom Petty died from an accidental drug overdose after taking a variety of medications, the family for the legendary rock star said Friday. 

    >> Read more trending news

    Petty, who suffered emphysema, knee problems and more recently a fractured hip, was prescribed various pain medications including Fentanyl patches, his family said. 

    “On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication,” his family wrote on Facebook

    The family called Petty’s Oct. 2 death an unfortunate accident. 

    “As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.”

    Next Up: