• Three-alarm blaze damages large home in Swampscott


    SWAMPSCOTT (FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) – A large home on Andrew Road in Swampscott was heavily damaged in a three-alarm fire that broke out Thursday morning.

    Fire officials told FOX 25 that the blaze broke out at 50 Andrew Road around 9:30 a.m. Crews struggled to knock down the fire because cold weather conditions made it difficult for them to find a hydrant with running water.

    Eventually, crews found hydrants around the corner that were not frozen and were able to knock down the fire.

    SKYFOX was over the scene and captured heavy smoke and flames coming from the home.

    State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan and Swampscott Fire Chief Kevin Breen said the cause of the fire was accidental and that the fire started at the stove; however, it was unclear whether the occupants of the home left the stove on inadvertently or if the family's dog accidentally turned it on "counter surfing" as the dog sometimes did.

    No one was home at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported.

    Neighbors say a family with four children lives in the home; however, fire officials would not confirm the number of people who live in the household.

    Firefighters were able to rescue two rabbits, but the dog died in the fire.

    Damages to the home are estimated at $250,000 to $300,000.

    Next Up: