• Three die of carbon monoxide poisoning at home in Plaistow, NH


    PLAISTOW, N.H. (AP) -- New Hampshire's fire marshal says three people have died due to  carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Fire Marshal William Degnan says a fourth person was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital after firefighters were called to the Plaistow home at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday.

    Degnan says the home had a carbon monoxide detector but it didn't have batteries. The carbon monoxide came from the home's propane fired heating system.

    "We are looking at the propane fired furnace that is installed in the residence, if it had malfunctioned or why it may have malfunctioned, but it's clear that that was the source of the carbon monoxide in the building," a firefighter said.

    Fire officials said that the victims, Kirk Walsh, 32, Maryanne Comparato, 47, and John Adams Jr., 28, appeared to have been sleeping at the time.

    "It's so sad, I mean they were such nice people and it is so sad. You don't think it is going to happen right here," a neighbor said.

    The neighbors said that the victims were all friends and nice people, "the kind of person that would plow out your driveway if you weren't home."

    Degnan said the victims' identities won't be released until the family has been notified.

    Homeowners should be sure that they have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in their homes and that heating systems are checked regularly, fire officials say.


    Next Up: