Third victim identified as BU grad student, Chinese national


BOSTON ( - The third victim killed in the Boston Marathon bombings has been identified by a Chinese newspaper. 

The Shenyang Evening News reported that Lingzi Lu was killed in the bombing. Her father confirmed that to reporters in China, who visited the family home.

Lu graduated from a Shenyang high school and studied international trade at Beijing Institute of Technology before she came to the United States to study statistics as a graduate student at Boston University, according to media reports, Lu's friends and her own Facebook page.

Hundreds gathered at the Marsh Chapel Tuesday night to remember the BU student and her friend, also a Chinese national, who was injured in the race, but is now in stable condition at Boston Medical Center.

A 29-year-old restaurant manager and an 8-year-old boy from Dorchester were identified as the other two victims killed Monday in the Boston Marathon explosions.

Martin Richard's neighbors say the little boy loved competing and running. His mother and sister were also seriously injured in the explosions.

"My dear son Martin has died from injuries sustained in the attack on Boston," Martin's father, Bill announced in a statement. "My wife and daughter are both recovering from serious injuries. We thank our family and friends, those we know and those we have never met, for their thoughts and prayers. I ask that you continue to pray for my family as we remember Martin. We also ask for your patience and for privacy as we work to simultaneously grieve and recover. Thank you."

Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old Medford native who managed Jimmy's Steakhouse in Arlington, was also killed in the explosions.

A very emotional Patty Campbell spoke to reporters outside of her home and said everyone that knew her daughter, loved her.

"She had a heart of gold. She was always smiling and friendly," said Campbell. "You couldn't ask for a better daughter. I can't believe this is happening…this doesn't make any sense."

William Campbell described his daughter as a "very caring, very loving person." He says she was daddy's little girl.

Campbell says his daughter joined her best friend at the finish line to take photos of the friend's boyfriend, who was running the marathon. The friend was seriously injured.

William told The New York Daily News that doctors initially confused his daughter's identity with the friend who survived. He says they went to visit who they thought was their daughter in her hospital room only to find it was her friend. A police detective later arrived to show the family a photo of Krystle.

Over 170 others sustained serious injuries, some that required amputations, at the scene of the blasts Monday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Next Up: