• Suspect in 'Puppy Doe' abuse case held on $500K bail


    QUINCY, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- A 32-year-old man accused of brutally beating a pitbull known as "Puppy Doe" was ordered held on $500,000 bail at his arraignment.

    Radoslaw Czerkawski, 32, was arraigned in Quincy Tuesday on 11 charges of animal cruelty carrying a penalty of five years in prison.

    During the arraignment, prosecutors said they found blood stains, paw prints, and fur matching the pitbull's pelt inside the Quincy home where Czerkawski was staying.

    "This dog had right front leg injuries, right back let injuries, shoulder injuries and fractured ribs," said Norfolk County Assistant District Attorney Tracey Cusick.

    Police said Czerkawski bought the dog on Craigslist.org and abused her for weeks.

    "We don't understand a motive," said Quincy Police Chief Paul Keenan. "I think it's probably just a sick individual."

    Investigators also said they found $30,000 in Czerkawski's bank account. After the arraignment, the Polish resident was also ordered to surrender his passport.

    "It made me sick. Made me completely sick to my stomach. I wanted to find the guy myself," said Kelly Duncan, of Quincy, outside of the courtroom.

    Czerkawski was arrested in New Britain, Conn. Monday on charges of misleading a police investigation.

    Police said Czerkawski had been living on Whitwell Street in Quincy, the same street where Puppy Doe was found. He was the caretaker for an elderly woman who died Aug. 31, but police said her death was not suspicious.

    He was brought to the Quincy Police Department from Connecticut Monday evening.

    The female dog was found barely alive near a playground and hospital in Quincy on Aug. 31, weighing half of what she should, with multiple broken bones, burns to the nose and stab wounds to the eye. Investigators said she also appeared to have undergone some kind of crude cutting to create a serpent-like split to her tongue.

    Veterinarians determined the dog could not be saved and she was euthanized.

    Czerkawski will appear in court again Nov. 21 for a pre-trial hearing.

    Police said Czerkawski was also wanted in connection with the theft of thousands of dollars from St. Lawrence Church in New Bedford. He will face charges in connection with the thefts in New Bedford District Court.


    Next Up: