Sign up for Boston 25 News emails!

Delivered To Your Inbox

Suspect accused of fatally hitting 7-year-old arraigned Wednesday


BOSTON ( -- The 36-year-old Dorchester woman accused of fatally hitting a 7-year-old girl with her car Tuesday was arraigned in court Wednesday.

Olivia Mora was ordered held without bail after pleading not guilty to charges of motor vehicle homicide and operating under the influence in the death of Brianna Rosales.

Rosales was hit while walking with her mother, Glenda lee Alverado, 26, on Olney Street around 2:15 p.m. Tuesday. The two were walking from Holland Elementary where Rosales was a student. She was pronounced dead at the scene and her mother was transported to the hospital with what were considered non-life threatening injuries.

Prosecutor Masai King said Mora failed three field sobriety tests and refused the breathalyzer. He is waiting for the results of a blood test.

Mora's lawyer said in court she has "medical issues."

Nicole MacFarland, witness to the accident, told reporters she saw Mora Tuesday morning and knew something was wrong.

"She looked under the influence at 9:45 a.m. that morning," MacFarland said.

MacFarland said she saw Mora hit Rosales and her mother five hours later. She tried to help Rosales, but couldn't. She did keep her eye on Mora.

"Maybe she was in shock. But she didn't show any emotion until the police got there," MacFarland said.

Police say Mora lived in Boston, but the corporate logo on her SUV indicated that she worked for a company in Concord, N.H. She allegedly gave police addresses in New Hampshire, California and even Canada. Authorities said she had a N.H. license.

Officials say Mora has a long list of driving violations. Her driving record includes lane violations, as well as citations for failure to stop, speeding, illegal operation, and improper passing. Her right to operate a motor vehicle was suspended on more than one occasion for payment default and for an accumulation of moving violations or surchargeable events.

Her right to drive in this state has been suspended indefinitely as a result of the crash.

The 36-year-old is due back in court January 3.