(MyFoxBoston.com) – Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is front and center on the cover of Rolling Stone, the iconic magazine known for its controversial covers and this one is certainly getting a response.
Rihanna, Rick Ross, and Justin Bieber are just a few of the celebrities recently featured on the cover of Rolling Stone. The next edition will also feature someone well-known – an accused murderer charged with the deadliest terrorist attack on U.S. soil since Sept. 11 - Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
The issue, which is due out Friday, is getting a lot of heat, especially in Massachusetts. Tuesday night on Twitter, "Boycott Rolling Stone" was trending in Boston.
The cover has a picture of bomber number two looking like a rock star. The title of the story inside is "Jahar's World" and is about a "popular, promising student who was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam, and became a monster."
Since his arrest, a "Free Jahar" movement has surfaced on social media.
Northeastern University criminologist Jack Levin says the Rolling Stone cover only feeds into the hype and it sends the wrong message to people who may feel disaffected.
"If they want to become famous – kill somebody," Levin said.
FOX 25 asked a spokesperson for the magazine if the photo of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was touched or altered in any way to enhance the teen's appearance, but so far they have not answered that question.
Boston mayor Tom Menino called the magazine cover a "disgrace" and said he would be in touch with the magazine's publishers. Gov. Deval Patrick said the cover was not in good taste.
Meanwhile, Tedeschi Food Shops, Walgreens, CVS, Shaw's, Cumberland Farms, and Roche Bros. all announced they would not offer the magazine for sale at their shops.
In the wake of the backlash, editors from the Rolling Stone issued a statement saying in part that while they support the victims and the City of Boston, they must continue their "long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day."
Because Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is the same age as many of their readers, the editors say it is the magazine's duty to "examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens."
For more information: Rolling Stone
Full statement from editors at Rolling Stone:
"Our hearts go out to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, and our thoughts are always with them and their families. The cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone's long-standing commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage of the most important political and cultural issues of our day. The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens."
Statement from MBTA Transit Officer Richard "Dic" Donohue:
"The City of Boston and the surrounding communities have faced many challenges since the bombings at the marathon finish line. The new cover of Rolling Stone has garnered much attention due to its sensationalized depiction of one of the alleged bombers. My family and I were personally affected by these individuals' actions. I cannot and do not condone the cover of the magazine, which is thoughtless at best. However, I appreciate our country's protection of free speech afforded to us by the Constitution. I am confident that our Boston Strong community will remain intrepid and unshaken by the cover of this magazine."
Statement from Jen Regan, fiancé of Marc Fucarile who is still hospitalized following the April 15 bombings:
"For over 3 months now, Marc has had to wake up every day in a hospital dealing with pain, dozens of surgeries and intensive rehab therapy. Our entire family has been focused on Marc's recovery while we anxiously await when he can return home. The new Rolling Stone cover is disgusting. It sensationalizes Marc's pain as well all the other victims and survivors. It is an insult to the families and people impacted that day. We know that the people of Boston are better than this and will continue to rise above this meaningless story and keep the focus where it belongs on the victims, survivors and their families who face a lifetime of challenges.
We look forward to welcoming Marc home soon and thank everyone for their continued support."
© 2017 Cox Media Group.