(FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) – A 25-year-old Randolph man accused of beating his child, possibly to the point of blindness and death, pleaded not guilty to two counts of assault and battery on a child on Monday.
Jaheel Robinson, a former semi-professional football player, appeared in Quincy District Court and was ordered held on $10,000 cash bail. He is due back in court on Dec. 21.
According to the Norfolk District Attorney's Office, sometime last Wednesday or Thursday, Robinson was reportedly walking down the basement stairs with the child when his knee gave out.
The baby's mother, Robinson's girlfriend, called 911 early Thursday when she found Robinson in the basement holding the injured child.
The 4-month-old child was taken to Boston Children's Hospital where he has been on a ventilator and a feeding tube since Thursday afternoon. During the incident, the child suffered injuries to his eyes and his brain, all of which are hemorrhaging.
Assistant Norfolk District Attorney Lisa Beatty said the child's eyes were separated from his retinas, and if the child survives, he will most likely be blind.
Medical professionals said the child's injuries were consistent with shaken baby syndrome.
The baby also had a fracture in one of his legs and a bruise on one ear. It is believed that these injuries pre-date last week's incident.
The child was previously hospitalized at Children's Hospital after a vomiting episode; however, the child was discharged by his parents against medical advice.
The Massachusetts Department of Children and Families has taken temporary custody, and a DCF spokesman was unable to comment on the case because the offices were closed Monday due to Hurricane Sandy.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.