Updated:CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- A warning for women after police say a woman was sexually assaulted by a masked man riding a bicycle in Cambridge.
The incident happened Tuesday night on the city's west side near Fresh Pond. The woman was walking on the path around the pond at about 8 p.m. when a white man in his early twenties rode past her on his BMX-style bike. He turned around, came back, and indecently touched her as he passed by. She started running and the suspect followed, but he fell off his bike and ran off.
Cambridge police do not believe the assault is related to a separate series of assaults in the area.
To be better protected, the Cambridge Police encourages people to take the following precautions:
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times and trust your instincts (especially at night).
- Always walk with a friend or in a group when possible.
- Walk with confidence on the street at a good steady pace.
- Keep your head up and observe your surroundings.
- Do not look at the ground.
- Do not wear ear buds, headphones, or listen to music while walking alone.
- If you feel you are being followed, show you are suspicious, turn around and look at the person. Change directions and try to remember the descriptive information about the suspect to relay to police when reporting the incident. Draw attention to yourself helping to alert others of your situation.
The Cambridge Police Department offers a free self-defense class for woman who work or reside in Cambridge.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.