MISSION HILL, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- The Boston Police Department issued a community alert Tuesday following several residential burglaries in the Mission Hill area.
Police responded to six different calls for break-ins between Nov. 28 and Dec. 1.
Police released the following tips for residents:
- A strong door is a good door. Solid wooden doors or doors reinforced with steel offer greater protection than hollow core wooden doors.
- Use safe locks. Adding quality deadbolt locks to your exterior doors adds and provides greater security to your residence.
- Lock your windows especially those that are easily accessible to unwanted intruders. Windows on the first floor or basement levels should always be locked.
- In a single family home or a multi-dwelling building, the outer hallway door should always be locked. Access to the inner hallway, provides access to anyone who seeks to break into your residence.
- Know your neighbors and keep an eye out for them and their property. Consider having a neighbor or friend watch your home when you're on vacation.
- Consider joining or organizing a Neighborhood Crime Watch group. For more info on how to join, call (617) 343.4345.
- Call 911 to report any suspicious activity in your neighborhood.
- Call your local district station and request a home security analysis.
- Don't leave valuables where they can be seen from outside the home.
- Make sure Roommates and other tenants know to keep their doors and windows locked
Police are actively investigating the incidents. Anyone with information is urged to contact police at 617-343-4275. There is also an anonymous tip line, 1-800-494-8477.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.