• Police: Father killed 4 children, 2 adults

    SPRING, Texas (FOXNews.com) -- A man suspected of killing six people, including four of his children, and wounding his 15-year-old daughter at a home in a Houston suburb surrendered to authorities late Wednesday after an hours-long standoff. 

    Deputies cornered 34-year-old Ron Lee Haskell  in a cul-de-sac approximately three miles from the shooting site, where a standoff ensued before the man got out of his car, put up his hands, and dropped to his knees as he was placed under arrest.

    The Harris County Sheriff's Department said the shooting occurred shortly before 6 p.m. local time in the northern suburb of Spring. Authorities said the wounded teenager was able to call 911 and told the operator that Haskell planned to kill her grandparents at their home. 

    Deputy Thomas Gilliland of the Harris County Sheriff's Office said that the victims were two boys, ages 4 and 14; two girls, ages 7 and 9, a 39-year-old man and a 33-year-old woman. The names of the victims were not immediately released. The 15-year-old girl was described as being in "very critical condition" at Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston late Wednesday night.

    Gilliland said the children belonged to Haskell and his wife, adding that the pair are estranged and the wife was out of state at the time of the shooting. Two of the children were adopted. It was not immediately clear what relationship the two adult victims had to the family, if any. 

    "It appears this stems from a domestic issue with a breakup in the family from what our witness has told us," Assistant Chief Deputy Constable Mark Herman of the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office told reporters. He did not explain further.

    Gilliland described the standoff as "two hours of constant talking with a man armed with a pistol to his head and who had just killed six people."

    Haskell was described by Gilliland as being "cool as a cucumber." The officer said Haskell was "just sitting in his car looking out at us" as Gilliland and his fellow deputies approached.

    "This concluded the way we wanted it to," Gilliland said after the suspect surrendered.

    Said Precinct 4 Constable Ron Hickman, "He was in the car for three-and-a-half hours. He was worn down like the rest of us. He came out of the car without resistance."

    Danna Stevens, 75, and her husband, Texas Stevens, live four doors down from the home where the shooting happened but weren't home at the time. She said she didn't know her neighbors well and that they had moved into the subdivision about a year ago.

     To read more: FOXNews.com

    Next Up: