(MyFoxBoston.com) – Another New England college student is dead after a concert in New York City. Police believe the 20-year-old University of New Hampshire student overdosed on the new club drug "Molly." Her death comes just days after another local student died from the same drug.
The UNH student from Providence, R.I., took to Twitter several times how excited she was about the concert. Now friends of Olivia Rotondo are using the site to pay tribute to her and share how much she'll be missed.
Rotondo died Saturday night after a rushed trip to the emergency room of a New York hospital. Investigators think she overdosed on the drug "Molly," a pure form of ecstasy that's grown in popularity.
Electric Zoo festival of concerts that was supposed to stretch over three days was canceled on its last day. The organizers say they were deeply saddened by Rotondo's death and the death of another fan who likely overdosed, Jeffrey Russ. Several other people there were rushed to the hospital over the weekend, as well.
On Saturday night, Boston police say three men in their 20s were treated after their use of an undisclosed drug. It happened during a concert at the Bank of America Pavilion. Right now, it's not known if those three men knew each other.
Just last weekend, there were more overdoses. One woman died after what police believe was an overdose of "Molly" at the House of Blues. Brittany Flannigan, 19, of Derry, N.H., did not know the other two victims who overdosed, but survived.
Doctors say the drug is very dangerous, especially in the summer. Molly is also known as MDMA. It's been around since the 70s as a diet drug, psychiatric medication, and is now being researched as a treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder. But it's grown in popularity as a party drug.
Now the Drug Enforcement Agency says it will intensify its efforts to fight the drug's growing popularity as a club drug, and Boston police are asking anyone with information about the recent overdoses in the city to come forward.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.