Gov. Deval Patrick says he has accepted the resignation of the commander of the Massachusetts National Guard, who was under investigation for an alleged rape in Florida in 1984.
Maj. Gen. Joseph Carter, who has served as the head of the Mass. National Guard since 2007, was placed on paid leave by Patrick in March, pending a criminal investigation by the U.S. Army.
In a statement released on Wednesday, Patrick said he has received the final report from the Army and that investigators had been unable to reach "definitive conclusions" about the allegations and Carter would not be prosecuted. But Patrick said the report raised "serious concerns" about Carter's actions.
"This is a disappointing end to a thirty-year career service leadership," Patrick said. "We agree General Carter's resignation is in the best interest of the National Guard and the people of Massachusetts.
The governor said Carter informed him on Wednesday that he planned to retire.
Maj. Gen. Leon Scott Rice will continue to serve as acting adjutant general of the Massachusetts National Guard.
© 2016 Cox Media Group.