• Owner of Boston bar: Bouncer in alleged assault 'no longer an employee'


    BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com) – The owner of a Boston bar says the bouncer at the center of an assault investigation involving a customer is "no longer an employee."

    David Murray, owner of the Grand Canal, appeared at a meeting with the Boston Licensing Board on Tuesday to discuss previous allegations involving the bar. The allegations include assault and battery by an employee on a customer, giving misleading information to police, and failure to call police.

    The meeting comes days after one of the bar's bouncers was arrested for reportedly physically assaulting several patrons of the Grand Canal as he attempted to remove them from the bar.

    Sidney Phillips, 31, of Avon pleaded not guilty Tuesday to a charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. He was released on $1,500 bail he had posted after his arrest.

    Phillips was arrested outside the Canal Street bar on Saturday morning and has been charged with assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon.

    Police responded to 67 Canal St. around 1:28 a.m. after receiving several calls about a fight.

    When police arrived, approximately 10 people were in the street across from the Grand Canal engaged in a verbal and physical confrontation.

    Witnesses told police that they group of about 10 men and women were inside the bar earlier in the night before the argument ensued.

    The victims claim they were inside attempting to take a picture at the bar when they accidentally knocked into another female patron. An argument between the two groups, who were unknown to each other, broke out.

    A male, later identified as Phillips, reportedly approached the group and attempted to remove them; however, four of the victims claim that in the process Phillips kicked, punched, and choked them.

    Officers saw that at least four of the victims, who were in their 20s, had visual injuries to their faces and heads. Two male victims and two female victims were transported to Mass General Hospital.

    A video of the reported assault was shown to police. In the video, a man believed to be the bouncer can be seen kicking one of the victims and stomping on his head.

    Murray had no comment at Tuesday's meeting, only saying Phillips is no longer an employee.

    Next Up: