BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com) – Boston Mayor Tom Menino is facing questions about when he learned there were potential problems with the deal between Caesar's and Suffolk Downs.
According to the Boston Herald, Menino was flagged weeks ago about problems with the casino giant, but continued to promote the partnership.
Last week, Suffolk Downs dropped Caesar's from its proposal after the Mass. Gaming Commission flagged $24 billion in debt and a possible tie between an associate of Caesar's and the Russian Mob.
Menino said he never knew the extent of the issues until the gaming commission's report came out.
"There were rumors. It's the gaming commission's job to make the best decision about who is able to run a casino or not," said Menino. "It's not my decision, it's the gaming commission's decision and I had no real knowledge of what was happening. Just rumors. You know the city of Boston, a lot of rumors every day.
Boston Mayoral Candidate Marty Walsh said he believes the Mayor didn't know anything.
"The Mayor has a good grasp on the issue of Suffolk Downs and I think that if he had known something he's certainly not shy about saying. He would have made it known how he felt and probably would have taken action," said Walsh.
Walsh's opponent, Councilor John Connolly agreed.
"He signed an agreement that would potentially bring benefits to Boston. I think it was more than fair to be promoting that," said Connolly. "The gaming commission did their jobs here and I don't think Mayor Menino or anyone could really know rumors until the gaming commission made their determination."
In the meantime, Suffolk Downs is seeking another partner.
East Boston voters will decide on the proposal on Nov. 5. Suffolk Downs' COO Chip Tuttle has previously said Suffolk Downs could go under without a casino license.
© 2016 Cox Media Group.