NEW YORK, N.Y. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- A Massachusetts native was seriously injured and his husband died when an electrical fire broke out inside their New York City apartment building Sunday.
Michael Todd Cohen, who Wicked Local reports is originally from Marblehead, and his husband, Daniel McClung, lived on the 38th floor of the Manhattan high-rise. FOX 5 reports they walked down a stairwell to escape the fire, but they chose a stairwell opened by firefighters to fight the blaze.
The stairwell was filled with smoke. McClung did not survive. Cohen is in critical condition, but is expected to survive.
Fire officials said the fire was contained to the 20th floor of the building, but the smoke permeated through the building because the apartment door was left open.
To read more: myfoxny.com
© 2016 Cox Media Group.