BOSTON - Massachusetts is set to join Washington and Minnesota in a federal lawsuit against President Trump’s new immigration ban.
The announcement was made by Attorney General Maura Healey’s office Thursday afternoon.
“President Trump’s second travel ban remains a discriminatory and unconstitutional attempt to make good on his campaign promise to implement a Muslim ban. We are consolidating our legal efforts and joining fellow states, led by Washington, in continuing to challenge this Administration’s unlawful immigration policies. We look forward to presenting our arguments to the court in the coming days to protect our residents, institutions, and economy in Massachusetts.”
The state had previously filed a lawsuit against Trump’s original ban that resulted in a 7-day halt to the executive order released in January.
New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said in a statement Thursday that his office is also joining the lawsuit, calling the executive order "a Muslim ban by another name."
We are working to gather more information from lawmakers and will have the latest updates on FOX25 News.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Mass. joins lawsuit against President Trump's new immigration ban
Coffee sold in California could carry cancer warning labels
'Rock bottom': Weiner gets 21 months in prison for sexting
More buildings, perhaps lives at risk following Mexico quake
Lebanon's president says Syrian refugees must return home