• Man accused of submitting $2M false claim to One Fund Boston held


    BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com) – A Boston man arrested for allegedly submitting a $2.195 million claim to The One Fund Boston using his dead aunt's name pleaded not guilty Wednesday to attempted larceny charges and was ordered held on $30,000 cash bail.

    Branden Mattier, 22, of the South End, was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court. He was taken into custody at his home Tuesday when an undercover state trooper presented him with a simulated check made out for $2.195 million.

    Coakley's office says Mattier claimed his long-deceased aunt, Onevia Bradley, suffered a double amputation due to the Boston Marathon bombings.

    Mattier posted a photo of himself on his Instagram account with One Fund administrator Kenneth Feinberg on May 7. His caption read, "Just spoke with Feinberg about what we can provide to help the city move forward in this tragedy, he loved it."

    Another photo caption read, "Big Meeting w/ The One Fund Boston, & Kenneth Feinberg, Re-Building The City After The Bombing."

    Coakley's office began investigating in June after the matter was referred by One Fund Boston due to its suspicions that Mattier's claim was false.

    Mattier allegedly sent an e-mail to The One Fund asking if his aunt could make a claim as a double amputee if the amputation was expected to be performed in the future.

    The One Fund received Mattier's claim form, along with a letter allegedly from the chief of trauma services at the Boston Medical Center, affirming his aunt as a double amputee.

    However, Boston Medical Center officials said Mattier's aunt never received treatment at the hospital in connection with the bombings nor did the letter originate from the trauma center. The investigation further revealed Bradley had actually died more than 10 years earlier.

    As part of the investigation, Mattier allegedly signed for a letter on Monday informing him that his aunt had been awarded $2.195 million from The One Fund Boston. The letter informed Mattier that he would receive the check by courier on Tuesday morning. State police arrested Mattier after delivering the simulated check.

    Mattier is due back in court on Aug. 2.

    Next Up: