BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com) -- Red Sox broadcaster Jerry Remy announced Monday that he will be returning to the announcer's booth for the 2014 baseball season.
Remy, who works for NESN as a Boston Red Sox analyst, stepped away from the microphone in August after his son, Jared Remy, was arrested and charged with the murder of his girlfriend, Jennifer Martel, who was stabbed to death Aug. 15. Jared Remy has pleaded not guilty.
Martel and Jared Remy had a daughter together, who is now 5 years old.
In his announcement to a small number of reporters, Remy, 61, addressed Martel's death.
Remy sat down with FOX 25's Brendan Fitzgerald Monday to discuss his decision to return to the broadcaster's booth. The broadcasting legend said returning to the booth for his 27th season is the only way he can move forward with his life, but it doesn't make it easier to deal with his son being charged with murder.
Remy had also missed games earlier in the season because of cancer and other illnesses.
"It was a difficult off-season," Remy tweeted. "Appreciate all your support."
The Martel family spokesperson released the following statement Tuesday:
"The Martel's sole focus is on the custody proceeding and therefore they have no opinion on Mr. Remy's return to work."
NESN confirmed Remy's return on Monday, stating that he would be covering the Red Sox during spring training.
© 2016 Cox Media Group.
Jerry Remy discusses return to the broadcasting booth
Officials investigating what happened before boy drowned in South Boston
US: Fighting in Syrian city yields trove of IS intelligence
Charges dropped against Oregon woman in California rampage
Trump says Russia should find Clinton's missing emails