• Inmate wounded in Mass. hospital is charged


    BOSTON (AP) — Charges have been filed against a prisoner police say was shot during a struggle with deputies in a Boston hospital emergency room.

    The Suffolk district attorney's office says charges filed Thursday against 36-year-old Raymond Wallace include assault and battery on a public employee and escape.

    Police say two deputy sheriffs were accompanying Wallace to an appointment at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary on Wednesday when Wallace suddenly tried to snatch a gun from one of them.

    In the struggle that followed, police say one deputy was shot in the leg and his partner fired at Wallace, hitting him in the chest.

    A FOX 25 source says the deputy who was shot is Jon Persson and the other deputy who shot the suspect is Sean Lee.

    A source told FOX 25 Wallace may have gotten into a fight in prison to earn him a trip to the hospital to escape. And this isn't the first time Wallace has challenged police. Back in 2001, he took a bullet in Waltham while struggling with officers there. Wallace faces life without parole because of the state's three strikes law.

    The Suffolk District Attorney's office says Wallace is now charged via a Boston Municipal Court complaint with unlawful possession of a firearm, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery on a public employee, and escape.

    The prosecutor's office says Wallace is expected to survive but is unlikely to be arraigned Thursday because of his very serious medical condition.

    Middlesex Sheriff Peter Koutoujian says injured Deputy Jonathan Persson is recovering.

    Statement from Sheriff Peter J. Koutoujian:

    "The Boston Police Department today filed charges against Raymond Wallace, 36, of Marblehead, in connection with the shooting that took place at the Massachussetts Eye &Ear Infirmary yesterday involving two officers of the Middlesex Sheriff's Office.

    My top priority is the safety of the public and the officers who were involved in this incident. These men are highly-trained, career professionals who perform their jobs admirably. Their actions to contain a highly dangerous situation prevented this detainee from potentially injuring others who were in close proximity.

    I would also like to thank all of the patients, hospital staff, law enforcement and corrections officials for their assistance yesterday.

    We are committed to working with the Boston Police Department as this investigation continues to determine all the facts and circumstances of this incident

    Next Up: