BOSTON (FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) – Missing paperwork? That's what Governor Deval Patrick reportedly said about the hiring process of former highway safety director Sheila Burgess.
The Boston Herald reports that the governor said he is unable to determine who gave Burgess the job because they can't find her hiring records. The paper says Patrick told WTKK there is no record of who hired Burgess because the documents have been destroyed.
Burgess resigned last week after her driving record – which included several accidents and traffic violations – was exposed. She was on leave for a crash in a state vehicle at the time and the state admits she had no experience in highway safety when she got the position.
According to the state's Records Retention Schedule, documents related to recruitment and hiring of an executive branch employee are required to be kept by the state for three years. That includes applications, resumes and letters of recommendation.
Patrick said Thursday that state officials followed correct procedure in destroying documents related to the hiring of Burgess.
Patrick says while Burgess performed her job well, the fact she was hired for the highway safety job despite her questionable driving record was an "embarrassment" for him and his administration.
Last week, Patrick called Burgess's appointment a "screw-up."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
© 2016 Cox Media Group.