OXFORD, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- Seven people were displaced by an overnight fire at a multi-family home in Oxford.
Fire officials tell FOX 25 they were called to the scene on Main Street just before 12:30 a.m. Monday. State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said the fire began in the basement laundry room. It appears to be accidental, according to Coan, though because of the extensive damage, officials are unable to determine whether it was caused by an electrical, mechanical or appliance malfunction.
The roof of the building collapsed during the fire. Though the building was assessed at $290,000, the value of the historically significant building, built in 1756, is "incalculable," according to the fire marshal's office.
Crews remained at the scene into the morning as they worked to put out hot spots.
High winds and bitterly cold temperatures made it difficult for firefighters to battle the flames. Two firefighters were injured and one was transported to the hospital. Oxford Fire Chief Sheri Bemis said several other firefighters fell on ice that developed due to the cold weather.
The American Red Cross is helping the seven people who were displaced by the blaze.
© 2016 Cox Media Group.
Fire displaces 7 in Oxford, destroys historical building
The Latest: Obama feels great about DNC speech tonight
US: Fighting in Syrian city yields trove of IS intelligence
Father of Freddie Gray says family stands behind Baltimore prosecutor…
Prosecutor says 'we do not believe that Freddie Gray killed himself,'…