QUINCY, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) – The four-alarm fire that tore through the Masonic Temple in downtown Quincy Monday has been ruled accidental.
According to the Quincy Fire Department, workmen said they were cutting some ducts out with a grinder and some insulation on the outside of the duct accidentally caught fire. It appears the insulation was burning for some time before the fire department was notified.
When the fire was noticed, workers attempted to use extinguishers to put it out, but were unsuccessful.
Firefighters were on scene Tuesday morning to make sure the fire didn't spark up again, Quincy Deputy Fire Chief Jeffrey Starr told The Boston Globe.
The building is not a total loss. The back of the building suffered the most damage, but the front of the building is basically still intact.
Fire officials said there were no smoke detectors or sprinklers inside the building.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Fire at Masonic Temple in Quincy deemed accidental
Mass. State Police arrest 24-year-old after high speed chase off the Cape
New York attorney general bids to become Trump's No. 1 enemy
Teen suicide attempts fell as same-sex marriage became legal
Russia's ambassador to United Nations dies in NYC at 64