BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com) -- A four-alarm fire displaced 14 people and sent three firefighters to the hospital in Dorchester early Sunday morning.
Firefighters responded to the triple-decker home at 46 Colonial Ave. in Dorchester just after 1:40 Sunday morning. The fire quickly grew to four alarms, as heavy fire engulfed all three floors. All residents was evacuated safely without injuries, though three firefighters were transported to hospitals with shoulder, ankle, or knee injuries. A veterinarian evaluated a dog that lived in the house.
Volunteers from the American Red Cross of Eastern Massachusetts arrived to provide the eight adults and six children displaced . Residents of the neighboring house at 42 Colonial Ave. were also evacuated, but later allowed to return to their homes.
MBTA buses were provided to keep volunteers and residents warm and dry. The displaced residents were given clothing and emergency shelter in a hotel.
Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald said the fire was started by a cigarette on the first floor porch.
The Boston Fire Department estimates damage to the house to be around $350,000. The outside of 42 Colonial Ave. was also affected by the fire, and fire department estimates put that damage at $50,000.
© 2016 Cox Media Group.