Sign up for Boston 25 News emails!

Delivered To Your Inbox

Dorchester man arraigned after dropping gun in front of officer


BOSTON (FOX 25 / – A Dorchester man was arraigned on gun charges on Monday after a handgun dropped from his waistband in front of a Boston police officer trying to defuse an earlier conflict.

Patrick Bishop, 19, was arraigned on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of a firearm with an obliterated serial number. He was held on $10,000 bail, and if he posts that amount, he is required to abide by a curfew of 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.

According to prosecutors, members of the Boston Police Youth Violence Strike Force received information late Saturday night that a large group, including known gang associates, was arguing with a lone male near the corner of Blue Hill Avenue and Columbia Road. The male was seen leaving in a silver Audi while the group walked up Blue Hill Avenue.

Concerned that the argument might escalate, police began patrolling the area to locate the group.

Police later found a group of about 20 people, including Bishop, in front of a Charlotte Street address.

Bishop began to walk away toward Blue Hill Avenue as the unmarked cruiser approached, then grabbed his waist, reversed course, and headed toward Bradshaw Street as police parked their cruiser alongside the group, prosecutors said.

When officers exited the cruiser and asked the group how its members were doing, Bishop allegedly stated that he'd had a problem with others at the scene, but that it had been resolved.

When an officer attempted to pat-frisk Bishop based on the placement of his hand at his waistband and efforts to leave the group on the officers' arrival, Bishop allegedly took off running toward Bradshaw Street with his hand at his waistband again.

When met by an officer a short distance down Charlotte Street, a semi-automatic handgun with an obliterated serial number fell from Bishop's waist and hit the ground, where the magazine dislodged from the firearm, prosecutors said.

At booking, officers found three bags of a substance believed to be marijuana on Bishop and learned that he was wanted on a warrant out of New Bedford for disturbing the peace.

Bishop will return to court on Nov. 16.