Docs: Officer accused of OUI attended housewarming party prior to fatal crash


PLYMOUTH, Mass. ( – A Mass. State Police officer accused in a fatal crash that left a mother and daughter dead is facing an OUI charge.

John Basler was suspended without pay last week amid allegations that he was drunk behind the wheel in the Sept. 22 crash.

Susan and Juliet Macchi, who were on their way home from a Red Sox game, were killed in the head-on collision.

The 25-year-old Basler, who became a trooper in March 2012, will be arraigned on charges of OUI, improper storage of a firearm, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, and carrying a firearm while intoxicated.

Not among the charges, a charge for motor vehicle homicide. Mike Macchi, son of Susan and brother to Juliet, told FOX 25's John Monahan he doesn't believe his mother was at fault.

"My mother was an excellent driver…and with my sister in the car, I don't see her screwing down the road over the speed limit," Mike Macchi said.

Newly obtained documents detail the death of Susan and Juliet Macchi. Preliminary reports show Susan Macchi veered across the double yellow line, but Mike Macchi believes without a doubt there is more to this and is certain his mom was sober that night.

According to the documents, Basler was at a housewarming party for a police dispatcher in Carver the night of the crash. The dispatcher declined to go on camera, but said he is confident Plymouth police will conduct a thorough investigation.

In the hours prior to the crash, Basler and two friends allegedly stopped for two 12-packs of beer at Dave's Liquor Store in Carver.

In the documents, the host and friends say they didn't see the trooper drinking too much, but somewhere between the party and the fatal crash police say his blood alcohol level was .19, more than twice the legal limit.

Additionally, the police report said the trooper was found on the ground outside of his car, injured and conscious. They also found several bullet casings on the ground and a .45 caliber clip inside the car. Police later learned he threw his gun into the woods worried witnesses might take it.

Investigators claim Basler showed no signs of being under the influence of alcohol at the scene of the Plymouth wreck. He was charged several days later when police received blood alcohol test reports.

Basler, who was off-duty, was transported to South Shore Hospital with what were described as non-life threatening injuries. He was temporarily relieved of duty after state police officials learned he was being cited. His license to carry was also revoked.

Basler's arraignment is scheduled for Oct. 10.

Next Up: