Updated:BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com) -- The decision on whether Boston will have a say in casino proposals for the eastern part of the state was pushed back Thursday.
At Thursday's hearing, Mass. Gaming Commission Chairman Crosby said he got a letter from Boston Mayor Marty Walsh asking for a week extension, and a follow up call from Governor Patrick saying that the city and the casinos were close to coming to an agreement and it was worth giving the week extension.
The commission granted the extension. The mayor is looking to name Boston as a host community for proposed casinos in Revere and Everett. That status would give Boston residents the opportunity to vote on those proposals.
The hearing on the decision has been rescheduled for next Thursday.
FOX 25 has reached out to the governor's office and the mayor's office to find out who initiated the governor's call to Chairman Crosby and will update this story when we hear back.
According to a statement from Mohegan Sun, âThe governor and the city of Boston requested additional time before the gaming commission renders a determination. We certainly respect that as well as the commissionâs decision today. And we will continue to answer any questions the city may have and work closely with the commission in accordance with the process.â
A spokesman for Wynn Las Vegas said that the group has not had any "substantive" conversations with anyone from the city for 20 days. At 11:20 a.m. Thursday, the group received a letter from the city notifying Wynn, who is seeking to build a casino in Everett, of the intention to postpone the meeting that had already begun, the spokesman said.
"We eagerly await the Commissionâs ruling on surrounding community status," a statement from the company read.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.