Updated:BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com) -- Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley announced Thursday that a Grand Jury has returned indictments against Aaron Hernandez in the "brutal" July 16, 2012 double homicide of Safiro Furtado and Daniel Abreu.
Below is a timeline of the alleged events as laid out by DA Conley:
- Safiro Furtado and Daniel Abreu had never been involved in any gang, gun or violent crime
- The victims and Aaron Hernandez did not know one another prior to meeting the night of the murder
- At around 12:30 a.m. on July 16, 2012, the victims, Hernandez, and another unnamed person entered the Cure Lounge on Tremont in Boston at the same time. They entered at the same time by coincidence.
- This "chance encounter" inside the club led to a series of events that led to the victims' murder.
- At around 2 a.m., Furtado and Abreu left the club, driving down Tremont Street.
- Unbeknownst to them, Hernandez allegedly followed behind in an SUV.
- When the victims' car stopped at a red light at Shawmut Avenue, waiting to turn onto Herald Street, the SUV pulled up beside the car on the right. Abreu was driving.
- Investigators allege Hernandez then fired multiple shots into the victims' car.
- Abreu and Furtado suffered fatal gunshot wounds, another person inside the car suffered a gunshot wound, and two people in the backseat were able to escape the car and run away.
© 2016 Cox Media Group.
DA: 2012 homicide victims were 'stalked, ambushed and murdered'
Schwarber on Cubs' World Series roster; starting at DH
The Latest: Berra's 1953 World Series ring fetches $159,720
Mormons preach love for LGBT members, but no doctrinal shift
Fearing Election Day trouble, some US schools cancel classes