NEWTON, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) – Crews battled a massive fire at a three-story home in Newton Saturday.
The fire broke out at a Victorian-style home at 355 Newtonville Road Saturday afternoon. It had spread to multiple alarms.
"It's just devastating," a neighbor said.
Fire investigators believe it may have been electrical, and started in the kitchen when an appliance and circuit breaker weren't working correctly, according to Newton's assistant fire chief Paul Chagnon.
The fire moved quickly, traveling up the walls of the home and eventually burning through the roof.
Two brothers live in the home, and one of the brothers, a 65-year-old, was home at the time of the fire and called it in.
Photos from the scene showed major damage to the home. The Newton fire department tweeted that crews were defensively battling the fire. The fire was completely out at 7:30 p.m.
Smoke from the fire caused the speed on the Massachusetts Turnpike to be lowered to about 40 mph.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Crews battle massive fire in Newton, smoke causes backups on Mass. Pike
The Latest: North Korea says women suspects should be freed
South Africa sees another rise in tension over immigrants
Trump pick as security adviser is independent-minded
Police: Suspects in N. Korean death coated hands with poison