ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP)- Clay Buchholz's next start for the Boston Red Sox will be pushed back by at least two days.
Buchholz, 9-0 with a big league-best 1.71 ERA, left Saturday's game against the Los Angeles Angels with what the team called "neck tightness."
Red Sox manager John Farrell said Buchholz could resume throwing on Wednesday and have a bullpen session Friday, which was the day of his next scheduled start. If all goes well, Buchholz might pitch Sunday.
"That's the best-case scenario at this point," Farrell said before Tuesday night's game at Tampa Bay. "If he does get off the mound with no issues, he will definitely be a candidate for Sunday. He continues to improve. We'll likely put a ball in his hand tomorrow to see how he feels with the hopeful intent that he would throw off the mound on Friday."
Ryan Dempster will start Friday's game at Baltimore.
Boston plans to recall Alfredo Aceves from Triple-A Pawtucket to start Wednesday night's game with the Rays. Frankiln Morales, who was scheduled to start that game, got the win pitching two scoreless innings out of the bullpen in Monday night's 10-8, 14-inning win over Tampa Bay.
Boston placed reliever Clayton Mortensen on the 15-day disabled list and recalled right-hander Jose De La Torre from Pawtucket.
"Clayton has been dealing with a groin and hip issue since we've left spring training, and as much as we wanted to get him through multiple innings last night, he couldn't go after the one inning of work, so that's the move to get De La Torre here," Farrell said.
© 2016 Cox Media Group.
Clay Buchholz start pushed back at least 2 days
Homeless man called 'hero' for finding NJ bombs rewarded with home, job prospect
Nigeria military: 8 soldiers killed in attacks by extremists
170 bodies recovered so far in migrant boat disaster
Charlotte ends curfew imposed after black man shot by police