Cat impaled by four-inch stick

Updated:

A cat in Brighton is recovering after being impaled by a four-inch stick.

"Sully" the cat's owner, Jaimie Sevene, said she noticed he appeared listless and weak on Sunday but couldn't figure out why.

Unable to determine why her two-year-old Maine Coon had become ill, Sevene brought him to Angell Animal Medical Center's emergency unit.

Doctors at the hospital found a very sharp stick had become stuck in the cat's abdomen near his heart.

Animal surgeons worked to remove the stick and the cat was released from the emergency center a day later. He is expected to fully recover.

Sevene said she believes Sully found his way to the basement and was impaled on some scrap wood stored by her landlord.