BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com) – Suffolk Downs said that despite having a strong interest from a number of operators, it may not have one in place for the Nov. 5 election benchmark.
Caesar's was forced to bow out of a partnership with Suffolk Downs earlier this month after the Mass. Gaming Commission raised concerns about the company's debt and potential connections to the Russian Mob.
Suffolk Downs COO Chip Tuttle said the racetrack is excited about the interest they've received since Caesar's was dropped, but wasn't sure a new operator would be in place by the Nov. 5 election. They remained hopeful they'd have one in place by a Dec. 31 RFA-2 deadline.
"We will also not ask the host communities to take our word for it that the new operator will commit to the requirements of the HCA. The City of Boston and the City of Revere have already expressed to us their interest in vetting the new operator so they can satisfy themselves that the agreement will be kept. We will do what it takes to allow them to do that," said Tuttle.
Under the signed host agreement, Suffolk Downs promised a $1 billion casino resort and 4,000 jobs - a deal that could be worth upwards of $50 million for Boston every year. Voters in East Boston will vote on the proposal on Nov. 5.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.