• Brighton mom held on high bail, must undergo evaluation following fire


    BRIGHTON, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com/AP) – A Boston woman was ordered held on high bail and sent for evaluation during her arraignment Monday on charges she set a building on fire, trapping her adult daughter and her daughter's boyfriend inside, the Suffolk County District Attorney said.

    Lisa Brown, 49, was arraigned in Brighton District Court on a charge of arson and two counts each of attempted murder and assault by means of a dangerous weapon. A judge set bail at $250,000 and ordered Brown undergo evaluation at Worcester State Hospital.

    Boston firefighters responded to a fire in a three-story building on Jette Court, a public housing unit in the city's Brighton neighborhood, shortly before 4:30 a.m. Sunday. Firefighters arrived to find smoke showing from the building and a man and a woman trapped on the third floor. Both were rescued and transported to St. Elizabeth's Medical Center.

    According to prosecutors, Brown was at the apartment when she became involved in an argument with the two victims. During the course of the argument, the victims locked themselves in a bedroom. Brown allegedly made threats and banged on the bedroom door, prosecutors said.

    The victims then began to smell lighter fluid and heard the click of a lighter, prosecutors said. After seeing flames and smoke under the bedroom door, one of the victims opened the bedroom door and found Brown holding a knife and blocking their exit, according to prosecutors.

    The victims retreated to the bedroom and called the fire department. They tried to exit the bedroom door again, but prosecutors said it had been locked from the outside with a dead bolt.

    Brown was not at the scene when firefighters arrived, but she later returned, and investigators arrested her shortly thereafter, prosecutors said. In her possession, investigators found a kitchen knife, lighter fluid, and two lighters, prosecutors said.

    A fire department official says the blaze caused about $25,000 in damage and was impeded by a sprinkler system in the building.

    Brown was represented for bail purposes by attorney Terry Stone. She will return to court on Aug. 23.

    Brown's nephew Antonio Stroud told The Boston Globe she is a "sweet, loving lady" who has struggled with poverty and health issues.

    Next Up: