• Authorities believe Boston bombing suspect is still in Mass.


    WATERTOWN, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) – Although authorities did not find the sole surviving Boston bombing suspect following a lockdown that spanned towns and cities in and around Boston Friday, the Mass. State Police Chief says he is confident the suspect is still in the state.

    >>PHOTOS: Suspect 1 dead, search continues for suspect 2

    SWAT teams, sharpshooters, FBI agents, and police took command of the tense and locked-down streets of Boston and its suburbs Friday in an all-out hunt for 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev after his older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, died in a desperate getaway attempt overnight.

    >>live coverage from FOX 25 News

    The two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing killed an MIT police officer and hurled explosives at police in a car chase and gun battle overnight Thursday that left Tamerlan dead and Dzhokhar on the run.

    Officials said Dzhokhar fled the Watertown scene on foot.

    Authorities in Boston had suspended all mass transit for a majority of the day Friday and warned close to 1 million people in the entire city and some of its suburbs to stay indoors as the hunt for Suspect No. 2 went on. Businesses were asked not to open. People waiting at bus and subway stops were told to go home.

    The lockdown was lifted late Friday afternoon after a thorough search of Watertown did not turn up the suspect.

    Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a 26-year-old who had been known to the FBI as Suspect No. 1 and was seen in surveillance footage in a black baseball cap, was killed overnight, officials said. His brother, a 19-year-old college student who was dubbed Suspect No. 2 and was seen wearing a white, backward baseball cap in the images from Monday's deadly bombing at the marathon finish line - escaped.

    The suspects are ethnic Chechan brothers who live near Boston and had been in the U.S. for about a decade, an uncle said.

    "We believe this man to be a terrorist," said Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis. "We believe this to be a man who's come here to kill people."

    In Cambridge, Bryce Acosta, 24, came out of his home with his hands up.

    "I had like 30 FBI guys come storm my house with assault rifles," he said. They yelled, "Is anybody in there?" and began searching his house and an adjacent shed, leaving after about 10 minutes.

    SWAT teams surrounded the Quimby Street home early Friday morning, drawing guns and using a bullhorn to try to coax someone, believed to have been Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev out of the building. Police later stood down as it was determined Tsarnaev was not in the building.

    Meanwhile, Boston emergency officials asked every person in the city to shelter in their homes as law enforcement tried to resolve the standoff that began after a night of violence in Boston.

    Police said the two Marathon bombing suspects killed an MIT police officer, injured a transit officer in a firefight and threw explosive devices at police during a getaway attempt that left one of them dead and another still at large.

    Mass. State Police said the pair spent the night in a Honda Civic and used it to carjack a Mercedes SUV.

    Police said Friday morning at a Watertown news conference that one of the brothers stayed with the carjacking victim for a few minutes and then let him go.

    They say one brother drove away in the Civic, and the other one drove away in the Mercedes.

    Police say one then ditched the Civic and reunited with his brother in the Mercedes. Authorities say both suspects were in the Mercedes when they encountered police and hurled explosives at officers.

    Tamerlan Tsarnaev was pronounced dead at Beth Israel Medical Center having suffered gunshot wounds and a blast wound to his torso during the shootout.

    The MIT police officer was identified as 26-year-old Sean Collier, of Somerville. The Middlesex District Attorney's Office said he was found shot multiple times as he sat in his vehicle in the area of Vassar and Main Streets.

    Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was registered as a student at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, the school said. The campus closed down along with other colleges around the Boston area.

    Their father, Anzor Tsarnaev, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press from the Russian city of Makhachkala that his younger son, Dzhokhar, is "a true angel."

    He said his son was studying medicine. "He is such an intelligent boy. We expected him to come on holidays here," the father said.

    A former wrestling teammate described Dzhokhar as a "cheerful" freshman with seemingly no anti-American sentiment.

    "He was a normal guy, there was nothing really different about him," said Vladimir Louissaint.

    Louissaint said he and a number of former classmates took to Facebook after seeing photos of the suspected bombers on the news Thursday.

    "It was him. His name was there. It was a perfect match," said Louissaint. "From there I called the FBI."

    A neighbor, who identified himself as Ty, said Dzhokhar was a passive person who wouldn't speak ill of anyone.

    "He was really passive, really a normal kid," said Ty. "We'd make a lot of jokes when we hung around. He wouldn't even crack a joke about people."

    Ty said he only hung out with Dzhokhar in a group setting and didn't know much about his home.

    "The best description I could give about him is that he's a good, normal kid that didn't want to hurt anyone," said Ty.

    The city of Cambridge announced two years ago that it had awarded a $2,500 scholarship to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who was listed as a senior at Cambridge Rindge & Latin School, a highly regarded public school whose alumni include Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and NBA star Patrick Ewing.

    At a press conference Friday morning, law enforcement extended a "shelter in place" order to the entire city of Boston. Residents were asked to stay in their homes until the order is lifted.

    "A massive manhunt is underway," said Gov. Deval Patrick. "Every asset we can possibly muster is on the ground right now."

    Authorities said surveillance tape recorded late Thursday showed Suspect No. 2 inside a convenience store in Cambridge, near the campus of MIT, where a university police officer - 26-year-old Sean Collier - was shot to death while responding to a report of a disturbance.

    From there, authorities said, the two men carjacked a man in a Mercedes-Benz, keeping him with them in the car for half an hour before releasing him at a gas station in Cambridge. The man was not injured.

    Massachusetts State Police spokesman Dave Procopio said police figured out the carjackers were the marathon bombing suspects in part because of what they said to the carjacking victim. Procopio did not elaborate.

    The search for the vehicle led to a chase that ended in Watertown, where authorities said the suspects threw explosive devices from the car and exchanged gunfire with police.

    MBTA Police Chief Paul MacMillan said an injured MBTA officer was a 33-year-old Richard Donohue. Donohue was a three-year veteran of the department.

    Gov. Deval Patrick says Donohue is in surgery at Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge.

    Reporters in Cambridge were pushed back from the area believed to be the home of one of the suspects and police were blocking off the area.

    All modes of public transportation were shut down, including buses, subways, trolleys, commuter rail and boats, said Joe Pesaturo, spokesman for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

    The Associated Press contributed to this report.

    Next Up: