• Attorneys for suspect charged in finish line hoax cite history of mental illness


    BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com) -- A 25-year-old Wakefield man was held on $100,000 bail and sent to Bridgewater State Hospital Wednesday after police say he carried a rice cooker filled with confetti in a backpack to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

    Kevin Edson, also known as Kayvon, is charged with possession of a hoax device, making a false bomb threat, disturbing the peace, disturbing a public assembly, and disorderly conduct.

    Edson, was seen by police walking barefoot down Boylston Street just before 7 p.m. Tuesday. He was donning all black with what appeared to be a black veiled hat on, shouting "Boston Strong."

    Police officers were in the area following ceremonies held in honor of the Marathon bombings anniversary. Officers stopped Edson, removing his veil and hat to find that he had blue and yellow paint on his face.

    Authorities said Edson told them he had a rice cooker in his backpack and they told him to leave it on the street. Police then evacuated the area, took Edson's backpack, and performed a controlled detonation of it. The bag did not contain explosives.

    During his arraignment in Boston Municipal Court, prosecutors alleged Edson, a reputed performance artist, told police he knew what he was doing, that it was symbolism and the performance got the best of him.

    Edson's defense attorney said the 25-year-old has a history of mental illness and hospitalizations. A doctor present for the defense said Edson was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at 19 and has been off of his medication for three to four months.

    Edson attends the Massachusetts College of Art and Design. College officials are working with authorities "to gain all relevant information regarding this incident," a statement read in-part.

    "The College takes these matters very seriously and holds people accountable for their actions should they be found responsible."

    Next Up: