Updated:CONWAY, N.H. (MyFoxBoston.com/AP) -- Nathaniel Kibby, the 34-year-old Gorham, N.H. man who is accused of kidnapping Abigail Hernandez, entered no plea, but was held on $1 million cash bail in court Tuesday.
Abby and her mother Zenya attended the arraignment, along with other family members.
Kibby is charged with one count of felony kidnapping. Investigators allege Kibby "knowingly" confined the teen on October 9, 2013 with the purpose of committing "an offense against her."
During his arraignment, Kibby's lawyers argued that they need search warrants and affidavits unsealed in order to properly defend their client.
"I wish I knew more than I do, as you guys already heard me say inside," Jesse Friedman, a lawyer for Kibby, said outside of court.
A judge ruled in favor of the prosecution's request to keep the files sealed, at least until the prosecution responds to the defense's motion, which will be within 10 days.
Attorney General Jane Young raised concerns that unsealing them could impact the searches being conducted at the suspect's property and potential witnesses. Searches at Kibby's home are ongoing and sources say investigators are paying close attention to a storage unit behind his trailer where some believe Abby may have been held against her will.In a news conference after the arraignment, Young said that evidence found during the searches could possibly lead to more charges or further searches of other locations. As of Monday, it did not appear that any other people were involved in the case, Young said.
"We've seen our worst fears proven true," said FBI agent Kieran Ramsey, who had been assigned to Abby's case, adding that their "best hopes were realized" with Abby's safe return.
"Abby's courage and resolve to return home speaks for itself," Ramsey said.
While Abby refused to speak to media Tuesday, a family friend said he wasn't surprised that she wanted to be at the arraignment.
"Abby's the strongest kid I've ever met, and you don't survive nine months without being the strongest kid anyone's ever met," he said. "And Abby's decision to be here and Abby's mom's decision was their decision, certainly. Abby's a strong kid and she's done everything she could to survive."
Kibby faces up to seven years in prison if convicted, as well as fines and up to five years' probation after jail time. He is due back in court August 12 for a probable cause hearing.
Hernandez returned home late last Sunday night. She went missing in October and was last seen leaving her high school and walking down a nearby road. In December, when Abby was still missing, Kibby appeared in a Conway court pleading guilty to marijuana possession, paying a $350 fine.
Anyone with information regarding Kibby and any activity at his home since Oct. 9, 2013, is asked to call N.H. State Police at 603-271-3636, or the Conway Police at 603-356-5715.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Accused kidnapper of Abby Hernandez held on $1 million cash bail
The Latest: Indonesia: Suspect was paid $90 to attack Kim
Indonesia says Indonesian suspect in death of Kim Jong Un's half brother…
Unlike colleagues, Michigan congressman embraces town halls
Transgender boy 2 wins away from girls state wrestling title