9 shoppers at N.H. grocery store fall ill due to leaking valve

Updated:

RINDGE, N.H. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- Officials believe a leaking valve in a refrigeration unit caused 9 people to fall ill while shopping at a New Hampshire grocery store Sunday night.

According to the Union Leader, several shoppers at the Market Basket in Rindge were transported to the hospital with respiratory problems at about 6 p.m.

The store was evacuated for nearly four hours as firefighters and a HAZMAT team investigated the source of the leak. It is still unclear what chemical was leaking.

Technicians worked to fix the valve and firefighters stuck around to monitor the store for other air quality issues.

Market Basket reopened Monday morning.

To read more: unionleader.com