Sign up for Boston 25 News emails!

Delivered To Your Inbox

3 children, 2 adults rushed to hospital after carbon monoxide incident in R.I.

Updated:

Loading

SMITHFIELD, R.I. - Three children and two adults were rushed to the hospital Wednesday for carbon monoxide poisoning in Smithfield, Rhode Island.

"Right now our prayers and thoughts are with the family especially the mom and hopefully she has a healthy recovery but right now, it is very touch and go," said Smithfield Fire Chief Robert Seltzer. 

The father of the three children had been working in the garage before he went inside and found two of the kids and their mother unconscious.

The father, Guy Latour, called 911 and all five family members were taken to the hospital. The mother had no pulse when first responders found her; they did CPR and successfully resuscitated her, but she has yet to regain consciousness. 
 

The carbon monoxide from the home's heating system was backing up into the house because of a clog in the chimney area, said the fire marshal. 

There were no working carbon monoxide detectors in the home. When crews arrived, CO levels inside the home were extremely high, according to the Fire Marshal.

"If you need smoke or CO detectors, we will provide them for you," said Seltzer.  

A family friend told FOX25 Latour had taken the CO detectors down because of an issue and was planning on changing the battery. 

The father has since been released from the hospital. The prognosis for the children is good; the mother is in critical condition at Fatima Hospital. 

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help cover the medical expenses.

This is a developing story, stick with FOX25Boston.com for the latest updates.


RELATED:

>> Off-duty firefighter recognizes carbon monoxide symptoms, helps save 30 people at restaurant

>> 2 treated for CO poisoning in Bedford

>> Ashland man hospitalized after carbon monoxide exposure


>> Want morning headlines delivered right to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter here